The Easiest & Safest Way To Clean Your Ithaca Gutters
November 15, 2021
The day you bought your Ithaca, NY home, you were so excited. You couldn’t wait to move in and make it your own. Then you realized that moving from an apartment or other rental property comes with its own set of challenges. Sure, you can hang whatever you want on the walls, but the yard needs to be cut, the weeds need to be pulled, things need to be painted, the toilet is running, and the hot water heater is broken. Suddenly these are all your responsibility since there's no landlord to call.
As your list of things to fix and chores to complete grows, it can be easy to miss things. One area that is easy to overlook is your gutter system. Because gutters are above our eye level and out of sight, they don’t draw our attention the way a fallen tree or long grass will. And they usually work fine until they don’t. That's when the problems begin.
Gutters are designed to divert water away from your home. If gutters get clogged and stop doing what they are supposed to do, you can face a variety of problems. Some of the issues a clogged gutter can cause include:
- Foundation problems: Clogged gutters let water spill over the side and down your walls. This can allow water to pool up, eroding your foundation and weakening walls, which can lead to foundation cracks and settling.
- Broken gutters: When your gutters are clogged, water has nowhere to go. This means it sits in the gutter, causing it to support more weight than it is intended to. The extra weight can cause your gutter to tear away from your roof.
- Home damage: Water trapped in gutters can rot the wood around your home’s fascia boards. This will allow moisture into your home, which can destroy walls and lead to an unsafe living situation like weakened walls and mold.
- Basement moisture: As water runs out of clogged gutters and down your walls, it pools near the foundation. It damages the foundation and eventually cracks it to the point where it can get inside. This may happen slowly at first, but clogged gutters and heavy rain could quickly lead to a flooded basement.
- Insect problems: One of the main things that attracts insects to your home is water. Clogged gutters lead to standing water, and standing water leads to insects. The mud and leaves that build up in your gutters can also provide a nesting area for dangerous pests like wasps.
While gutters can be easily overlooked, the problems that clogged gutters cause cannot. Keeping your gutters clear and functioning is a huge key to making sure your home is taken care of and in good shape for years to come.
Get Professional Help
Cleaning gutters is an important chore around your home. It can also be difficult and dangerous. No one wants to lug ladders around or climb out second-story windows to clean out gutters.
At Sweeney’s Pest Elimination, we offer gutter cleaning services that are designed to keep your gutters working properly and keep you off ladders and safe. We will either access your roof or use ladders to clear every gutter on your home, removing the mess we pull out of your gutters when we leave. We will also check downspouts and make sure they are clear, and can use a leaf blower to clear your roof if needed.
We recommend a yearly gutter cleaning after the fall months. Water stuck in clogged gutters in the winter can freeze and expand, causing a variety of issues for your home. If you can’t remember the last time you cleaned your gutters or are tired of lugging ladders around digging out mud and gunk, call us at Sweeney’s Pest Elimination and let us do it for you.